Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Liberty Humane Society.
Volunteers help the shelter run smoothly, increase adoptions, and make our animals happier. Volunteering is critical to this organization. We want to make your volunteering experience as useful, pleasant, and rewarding as possible.
We believe that everyone who works with LHS is an ambassador to the community for our animals and our mission. In that spirit, we strive for staff and volunteers to work together to provide outstanding service to the public in all departments and to represent Liberty Humane Society’s mission accurately and respectfully in our community.
Taking the First Step
To begin the volunteer process, we ask that you email the Outreach Manager at: email@example.com. The Outreach Manager will send you the volunteer application. Once the application is complete, you will be invited to attend an orientation to learn more about the shelter. During this orientation you will:
- Have a tour of the shelter
- Decide what volunteer position is best for you
- Fill out our official application and Waiver
- After ten hours of service in our kennels, you may make an appointment to attend another orientation on animal handling and care.
- Please note: Volunteers must be 18 or older to handle animals
Introductory Volunteer Opportunities
Foster volunteers provide a second chance at life for animals that arrive at the shelter sick, injured, underage, or who while at LHS become kennel stressed. Foster volunteers must be 18 years of age or older and have landlord permission. A minimum commitment of two weeks is required.Cattery Ambassador
Cattery Ambassadors provide a clean environment, affection, and socialization to the cats in our care. This position requires at least 8 hours of service per month. Cattery volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.Kennel Ambassador
Assists kennel staff with laundry, dishes, and organizing the kennel area. Walks and socializes white-card dogs as directed by staff. Bathes dogs following LHS protocols to keep dogs healthy and the kennel areas safe. This position requires at least 8 hours of service per month. Kennel volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
After 8 hours of service, kennel ambassadors may take further training to walk green card dogs. After a further 8 hours of service, volunteers can take the mentor walk to become certified blue card walkers. Click here to review the entire process.Animal Visibility Ambassador
These ambassadors advertise our animals in the community by taking pictures, filming video, and making/posting fliers of individual animals. These ambassadors help us get more animals out the door and increase the number of community members who know about our animals waiting for homes. Please note that in order to actually handle the animals, the visibility ambassador must take the appropriate orientation(s). We ask marketing ambassadors to advertise at least eight of our animals each month.Humane Education Ambassador
Under the guidance of the humane education team manager, you will bring information about caring for animals, the importance of spaying and neutering, and the truth about pit bull type dogs into the community. Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.Special Projects Ambassadors
We welcome your skills at Liberty Humane, and we know that sometimes you don’t need any extra training to contribute to our success. Please speak with the outreach manager at any time if you are interested in being involved in:
- Special Events: Help with set up, organization, outreach, clean-up, etc at LHS events.
- Graphic Design, Photography & Video Production: Work with media staff to design and produce materials in line with LHS’s visual identity and mission. You can help in the area of adoption promotions, forms, shelter materials, and marketing materials for our individual animals.
- Laundry: All these animals produce a lot of laundry. Any kennel staff can show you where the gloves are, where the machines are, and how we sort our laundry.
- Special projects, administration, and IT: Assist with data entry, thank you notes, mailings, writing, research and other special projects as needed.
- Repairs and Maintenance: We always need assistance with minor repairs onsite.
- Toy Shop Craftsperson: We need toys for the cats and dogs that can easily be made by hand—usually with PVC pipe and a drill. If you are handy, please join the team that makes our kennel enrichment toy team. Nametags: White with hammer.
- Sewing Circle: If you have sewing skills, we could use your expertise in making kennel blankets, cat toys, and more. We have a folder of patterns for usable items and invite your creative suggestions as well!